What is a pressure vessel?
Pressure vessel, also known as accumulator, hydraulic accumulator, pressurized tank… is a type of container that compresses pressure to store hydraulic energy. Because the accumulator stores hydraulic energy, it is used to provide energy, balance the hydraulic system, and protect the safety of hydraulic machinery systems, water pumps, etc.
The principle of operation of the pressure vessel follows two basic processes: charging and discharging. A quantity of hydraulic oil is led to the inside of the accumulator through the oil ports. Nitrogen gas in the tank will be compressed to a specified limit pressure. When the hydraulic system has a need for flow or pressure, the accumulator will supply it.
Pressure vessel is an indispensable device in the system used to pressurize equipment, maintain pressure in water pipes and regulate pressure of pipes.
Pressure vessels are equipment with strict requirements on occupational safety.
Common pressure devices include:
– Compressed air tank
– Tanks for liquefied petroleum gas (LPG, CNG…)
– Industrial gas cylinders (CO2, H2, N2 …)
– Heat exchangers
– Boilers, oil heaters, chemical reactors…
– Hot steam pipelines, compressed air pipelines, industrial gas, gas…
Problems related to pressure vessels:
During the operation of pressure vessels, boilers and pipelines with high pressure, the following problems often occur:
– Equipment collapsed
– Chemical burns, thermal burns
– Leakage of refrigerant affecting the ability to breathe (suffocation, poisoning)
These incidents seriously affect people and property, and can cause temporary or permanent injury to the operator.
Causes of problems in pressure vessels:
When investigating problems related to pressure vessels, boilers are often caused by: Inappropriate design, operation, inspection, maintenance and repair.
The causes related to pressure vessel failures can be listed in detail as follows:
– Wrong pressure vessel design
– Capacity of maintenance and repair units
– The operating procedure of the pressure vessel is not suitable
– The pressure exceeds the allowable working pressure
– Choose the wrong material or the material is defective
– Safety valve: not suitable or not working
– Cracking (weld, base metal)
– Issues related to weld quality
– Incorrect operating parameters
– Erosion (abrasion) due to flow
– Material fatigue
– Unsuitable material stress
– The installation location, the safe distance is not suitable
– Over water
– Errors during processing and manufacturing
– Error in heating process
– Incomplete inspection and testing process
– Repair, replace not in accordance with procedures and standards
– Other unspecified causes
How to troubleshoot pressure vessels?
Accidents, incidents related to pressure vessels can be limited or completely eliminated if:
– Design and manufacture according to prestigious international standards such as ASME, API, European Codes and Standards..
– Strictly comply with the design and manufacturing requirements that the pressure vessel standards have specified. Eliminate non-standard equipment.
– Operate equipment at a pressure below the allowable pressure as well as install appropriate protective devices (safety valves, pressure regulators, relays, flow limit valves…).
– Keep records as well as test reports to monitor hazards and stop using equipment before the time of the risk of failure.
– Provide knowledge about safety when working, operating pressure equipment as well as how to identify unsafe factors during equipment operation.
– Provide enterprises with pressure vessel operating procedures. Complete and appropriate guidance on safe pressure vessel operations.
– Periodically inspect and safely inspect pressure vessels and safety devices and accessories to detect elements of corrosion, leaks, cracks, breaks… or other defects.
– The renovation and repair of pressure vessels must be done by reputable and licensed units for that. As well as must comply with the regulations on repair that the standard prescribes.
KS – Boiler specializes in manufacturing, installing and maintaining industrial boilers:
Fanpage Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ksboilercompany
Hotline: 1900 055 595
Office address: No. 9A, Street 73, Tan Quy Dong Residential Area, Tan Phong Ward, District 7, HCM.
Factory address: E2/52 B1 Da Phuoc, Hamlet 5, Binh Chanh District, HCM